Saturday, February 16, 2013

Grasping at Eternity (The Kindrily #1) - 92 points





Title: Grasping at Eternity
Series Info: The Kindrily $1
Author: Karen Amanda Hooper
Leave it to Maryah Woodsen to break the one rule that will screw up eternity: Never erase your memories.

Before entering this life, Maryah did the unthinkable—she erased. Now, at seventeen years old, she’s clueless that her new adoptive family has known her for centuries, that they are perpetually reincarnated souls, and that they have supernatural abilities. Oh, and she's supposed to love (not despise) Nathan, the green-eyed daredevil who saved her life.

Nathan is convinced his family’s plan to spark Maryah's memory is hopeless, but his love for her is undying. After spending (and remembering) so many lifetimes together, being around an empty version of his soulmate is heart shattering. He hates acting like a stalker, but has no choice because the evil outcast who murdered Maryah in their last lifetime is still after her.

While Maryah’s hunter inches closer, she and Nathan make assumptions and hide secrets that rip them further apart. Maryah has to believe in the magic within her, Nathan must have faith in the power of their love, and both need to grasp onto the truth before they lose each other forever—and discover just how lonely eternity can be.
1/2 HEARTS!

POINT BREAKDOWN

Plot: 48 points


This book had an unique paranormal plot that was different that any other I've read so far! It did have some similarities to the Archers of Avalon series (like having multiple lives and the hot guy with green eyes), but still different enough for you not to be distracted by that. I wish we got to see a little more Nathaniel and Maryah time in the book, but I suspect there will be much more in the next books :) I really loved the idea behind this book! Way to go Hooper!

Characters: 14 points

I loved ALL of the characters, with a special affinity for Nathaniel. I liked him even more than Maryah! The bad guys really sucked (they were good bad guys though), but the whole kindrily were great. Faith was really cute, and I really liked Carson, too. Louise was very mother-like and seemed very sweet. Maryah totally should have known River was a douche, right? But all-in-all, characters were written well!

Names of characters: 4 points

All the names were pretty good! I really liked the name Nathaniel! Sounds totally adorable! Maryah is an alright name (but totally makes sense if you read the book)...Faith and Harmony are good! Carson, Dylan, Amber, Hellen, Edgar, Anthony, Shiloh, April, Sheila, Dakota...all good. I have to admit, it's the main characters I care most about though. River seemed like kind of an odd name. And Dedrick sounds very villanish!


Writing/Depth: 26 points
I felt like the book could have had a LITTLE more depth. I was confused a couple times during the book and had to try to focus on what was going on. I got confused with some of the characters for a while, too. Like, how are they related again? But I'm sure things will become more clear as I read the other books. I also would have liked a little more humor. I know there were a lot of serious situations, but I love having a good laugh when when I read a book. Ultimately, though, there were some GREAT scenes! Three of my favorites:

**SPOILER ALERT**
1) When Maryah passes out
2) When Nathaniel brings Maryah 4 different drinks because he doesn't know (although really he does) which one she'd prefer
3) The first kissing scene between Nathaniel and Maryah! **swoon**


TOTAL: 92 POINTS


2 comments:

  1. Aww, thanks so much for reviewing GAE. :)
    I love the points breakdown! Love your 3 fav scenes too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GREAT paranormal plot!!! I was so excited to read something so very different than anything I had ever read :) Oh those 3 scenes...I literally melted! LOL. I'm a sucker for scenes like that. Do guys like that exist? I really hope so!!! :)

      Delete