Monday, May 13, 2013

My Blood Approves (My Blood Approves #1) - 98 points




Title: My Blood Approves
Series Info: My Blood Approves #1
Author: Amanda Hocking
Teenager Alice Bonham's life feels crazy after she meets Jack. With his fondness for pink Chuck Taylors and New Wave, he's unlike anyone she knows. Then she meets his brother, Peter. Even though he can't stand the sight of her, she's drawn to him. Falling for two guys isn't even the worst of her problems. Jack and Peter are vampires, and Alice finds herself caught between love and her own blood

5 HEARTS!

POINT BREAKDOWN

Plot: 50 points

OK...I really have no idea why this book only got a 3.89 rating on goodreads!!! What the heck people??? And some are comparing it to Twilight!?! Um...no. Not Twilight at all. 

GREAT vampire plot!!! Really, really great! It has all the parts that I like most about vampires in one book, and more! I love their lifestyle, their lack of weaknesses (just a small sunlight problem), the attraction others have to them, and the attraction they have to their 'soul mates'.

I loved how Alice didn't just immediately know they were vampires. It was a little strange that she thought of werewolves but not vampires, but I'll let that one slide. I doesn't really matter because truthfully, if we were her, we could never believe that they were anything supernatural. We'd try to come up with alternative explanations, just like Alice did. 

Great going Hocking! You captured everything I like about the vampire theme in one book!

Characters: 20 points


Let's start with Alice: She's witty, funny, catty, straightforward, independent, and just totally careless about the opinions of others. Fabulous main character. Her friendship with Jack is just really cute and amazing! 

Jack: Jack has just about the same personality as Alice, and that is why they connect from the beginning. I really liked the way he responded to Alice, and Alice to him. I liked the barely-there crush that is shared between them that doesn't overwhelm the book with sappy-sappy, lovey-dovey stuff. They just have a great friendship with minimal attraction (except maybe one part in the book **cough, cough ::SPOILER:: cough, cough**)

Milo: What. A. Cute. Brother! I can imagine having such a sweet little brother like Milo. I really felt sorry for him at times because Alice cared a little bit too much about herself (and therefore, less about her brother) during points in the book. I just wanted to hug Milo and, well, slap Alice really. Not that I didn't like Alice, because I really did, cause I can totally understand how it is when you are enamored with someone and you just start spending less time with your family. Honestly...it happens. It's something that made this book more realistic. 

Ezra and Mae: I don't need to say much about them except that they are both so wise and endearing. They want to do the right thing for their family and for Alice's family, and they really try hard to sort everything out. Ezra is the logically one (he is the oldest and wisest after all..), and Mae is the cute little homemaker with the very strong motherly instincts. They make the perfect match!!! 

Peter: OK...WOW! Peter came out of NO WHERE! You see this cute relationship developing between Jack and Alice, and you keep wondering where it's going to go, and then BAM!! Peter comes into the picture. Honestly, I don't like Peter so much right now, but maybe that will change. Apparently he has haunting past or something. 

**SPOILER ALERT** 

I really don't like him for Alice right now, and I really hope she ends up with Jack. I know she is supposed to be Peter's soul mate or whatever, though that's a messy situation right now, but I just hope Jack comes out ahead. Alice mentions several times that she doesn't find Jack that attractive, or at least not as attractive as Peter, but I don't really care. I will stand my ground!!!! For now...

**END OF SPOILER**

Writing/Depth: 28 points

I think Hocking does a great job with the wit, humor, and attraction aspects of this book. She's very good in emotional description and depth, and honestly, I never got bored once reading this book. I didn't want to put it down, and I bought the next one right away! I kept wanting to know what happened next! I was glued to Alice, Jack and Peter at all times. I would think, "Where are they? What are they thinking? What's Alice going to do about all this? What life is she going to choose?" Yeah...I'm hooked :)))

TOTAL: 98 POINTS

No comments:

Post a Comment