Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Evermore (The Immortals #1) - 82 points




TitleEvermore
Series Info: The Immortals #1
Author: Alyson Noel
The first book in Alyson Noël's extraordinary new Immortals series. Enter an enchanting new world, where true love never dies...

After a horrible accident claims the lives of her family, sixteen-year-old Ever Bloom can see people's auras, hear their thoughts, and know someone's entire life story by touching them. Going out of her way to avoid human contact to suppress her abilities, she has been branded a freak at her new high school — but everything changes when she meets Damen Auguste.

Damen is gorgeous, exotic and wealthy. He's the only one who can silence the noise and random energy in her head - wielding a magic so intense, it's as though he can peer straight into her soul. As Ever is drawn deeper into his enticing world of secrets and mystery, she's left with more questions than answers. And she has no idea just who he really is - or what he is. The only thing she knows to be true is that she's falling deeply and helplessly in love with him.
1/2 HEARTS!

POINT BREAKDOWN

Plot: 42 points

I thought the book plot was pretty good! It takes awhile before things start to add up, and I got confused at times, but all-in-all, it was good. One thing I really liked about the plot was Damen's persistence to catch Ever, and Ever's persistence to ignore him. It was truly adorable! 

The immortality part of the book was very unique as well...definitely an original twist on immortality. 

Characters: 15 points


I really, really liked Ever! She is the perfect combination of strong and independent, while still having emotional weaknesses. I like her relationship with Damen, her sister, her aunt, and her friends. She seems very level headed, but maybe just a LITTLE too curious at times...

Damen is a great, gorgeous character, although he has to lie quite a bit to keep the truth from Ever. I can totally understand why he has to lie, but it always sucks when the truth comes out. Because then...trust is forever hard to gain in the relationship. Then he starts flirting with another girl in the book, and that kind of turned me off. I wish he didn't have to do that, but I guess there was a reason for it (the carnation thing and all...). His past with Poverina is also a little shady. You would hope he loved Ever, and only Ever, for eternity. Maybe he did only love her, but he still has a past with Poverina that is less than steller. Other than that, I really love how hard he tries to swoon Ever!!! My top two favorite things about Damen are his looks and his swoony flirting with Ever :)

Haven annoys me from the very beginning...I really couldn't stand her LOL. Miles is cool though. I like him!

Riley is probably one of my favorite sibling characters that I've ever read. She's funny and cute, and really loves her sister. She loves her so much that she sacrifices paradise to stay with her!

Poverina (Drina) is just plain crazy. She seriously needs to be put in a straight jacket LOL. You would think after so many years she would give up her crazy missions, but she just keeps going. She was probably the most confusing character in the book for me, and also my least favorite right above Haven **hehe**

Writing/Depth: 25 points

I think Noel did a nice job writing this book! Especially writing Ever's character, and incorporating bits of humor into the book. It's really hard for me to stay into a book that has no humor and is written poorly, but I couldn't wait for a chance to read more of the book whenever I had to put it down. A little more clarity in regards to the immortality theme of this book would have been nice, but her emotional detail is superb! Very well written emotional content. Great going Noel! :)

TOTAL: 82 POINTS

1 comment: