Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Ugly Love - 97 points


Title: Ugly Love
Author: Colleen Hoover

When Tate Collins meets airline pilot Miles Archer, she knows it isn’t love at first sight. They wouldn’t even go so far as to consider themselves friends. The only thing Tate and Miles have in common is an undeniable mutual attraction. Once their desires are out in the open, they realize they have the perfect set-up. He doesn’t want love, she doesn’t have time for love, so that just leaves the sex. Their arrangement could be surprisingly seamless, as long as Tate can stick to the only two rules Miles has for her.


Never ask about the past.
Don’t expect a future.

They think they can handle it, but realize almost immediately they can’t handle it at all.

Hearts get infiltrated.
Promises get broken.
Rules get shattered.
Love gets ugly.

5 HEARTS!!!




POINT BREAKDOWN

Plot: 50


Tears.

Oh my gosh.

Too many tears.

This book sent me on my way to a complete mental breakdown.

I have to admit I paid way more for this book than I do most kindle books... even after only ready a very short sample of it. But I did it because I knew... I knew, knew, KNEW Hoover wouldn't let me down. 

And she didn't!!! She had me like...



The plot was amazing! We see this girl who gets into an agreement knowing she's not going to be about to fulfill the contract as written. She knows. Oh man, she knows from the beginning. But like most girls in her situation, she has hope that she can change this guy she's extremely attracted to. Because if she can do that... this man will be perfect. Literally. Perfect.

Then we get a glimpse of Miles' past and we start to connect the dots. We realize what's going on here and we start to understand why Tate's dreams are just not likely to come true.

At least you THINK you understand. Until Hoover goes THERE... and I realized at one point while Miles was in past-tense mode that things are going to get bad. Very bad. And because Hoover is a damn good writer... I knew my heart was going to be crushed. I didn't exactly hit the nail on the head, but I was close enough to put me in tears anyways.

I wanted to physically hurt Hoover for doing that to me because I was physically hurting!

In the long run, things turn out OK and the plot was still incredible. Hoover is amazing!!! As if I didn't think she could top Hopeless... she did.

You will experience every emotion in this book!!! And I'm sure you've heard this about a lot of books but I'm really not joking. Expect it all!!!

Characters: 19 points

Lets start with Tate:

As I mentioned earlier, Tate does what any girl in her position would do. I would know... been there done that. Well OK, not exactly THERE, but I've started something I had a pretty good feeling would end badly by convincing myself that maybe it wouldn't. And we can feel the war in Tate's heart throughout the whole book. And yet we know... if it was us, we would still do the same thing she did and feel the same things she felt. We would allow ourselves to stay in a heart-breaking situation for the sake of the present, and hope for a future. Unfortunately, Miles is going to have a lot less hope in a future than she has. Plus... rule number two is in place.

One thing I wasn't a huge fan of was Tate's name. I like her real name MUCH better... can't you find a nickname for her real name instead of using her middle name? Tate sounds like a boy name to me. In the beginning of the book, I though it was a boy speaking! She uses a boy name for another female character at the very end of the book (not telling who!!!), and I was like... what the heck?! haha. I like feminine female character names but that's OK... I still loved Tate.
 
Miles: Man this man has been through too much. Way too much. I just can't even imagine. But my goodness he is a looker! (Hoover's words... not mine). And he is skilled in many areas! (Enough said). He's stubborn though, and an ass at times. And it takes him way too long to realize what's really happening between him and Tate. It's obvious to Tate and to us readers, but he's oblivious. The most sexy, sweet oblivious man I've ever read.

Cap: I like cap. Love him even. He really completed the book for me! And he's pretty funny, which made me smile more times than I'd like to admit. He'd be my best friend, too if I was Tate :)

Writing/Depth: 28 points

Frist of all, let me just say that I read this ENTIRE book in one day because I couldn't put it down. That hasn't happened to me in a very long time!

Second, I have to say that Hoover does something very different in this book... she writes thoughts. She doesn't just write a narrative... she actually writes in thought form. And pretty accurately I might add! The only time I felt something was a little off was when we would see Miles' view in the past-tense (6 years ago). She seemed to have written his thoughts very immaturely. I have no idea why... he was 18 at the time but she kinda made it seem like he was 5 or something.

She did this thought-writing style less with Tate, but she still did it a lot with her. And she didn't make Tate seem like she was 5 when she did it. Other than that, the thought narrative was actually nice because it helps you feel the emotions they were feeling more accurately. It was present-focused. Just like Tate and Miles' relationship ;)

Overall, this book is a must read! Despite the seriousness of the book, there were times when I was rolling on the floor laughing my butt off! It was just too cute and too funny to handle. Hoover is amazing and her writing is brilliant... Tops off to her!!!

TOTAL: 97 POINTS!




No comments:

Post a Comment