Monday, November 17, 2014

Slammed (Slammed #1) - 95 points


Title: Slammed
Series Info: Slammed #1
Author: Colleen Hoover

Following the unexpected death of her father, 18-year-old Layken is forced to be the rock for both her mother and younger brother. Outwardly, she appears resilient and tenacious, but inwardly, she's losing hope.

Enter Will Cooper: The attractive, 21-year-old new neighbor with an intriguing passion for slam poetry and a unique sense of humor. Within days of their introduction, Will and Layken form an intense emotional connection, leaving Layken with a renewed sense of hope.

Not long after an intense, heart-stopping first date, they are slammed to the core when a shocking revelation forces their new relationship to a sudden halt. Daily interactions become impossibly painful as they struggle to find a balance between the feelings that pull them together, and the secret that keeps them apart.

4 1/2 HEARTS!



POINT BREAKDOWN

Plot: 47 points


This book was very short, but very sweet! I was surprised how fulfilled I could be with only 218 pages!

Will's secret... I didn't think it was going to be what it was. Hoover caught me off guard!!! I mean, I should have saw it coming, but for some reason I thought it was going to be something else, so I put aside the obvious. I hope the same thing happens to you because surprises are the best!

This book is filled with sadness... I mean to the brim. Death, death... and more death. A glass full of abandonment.

But in the end it has a sadish, happish ending. It made me feel like, "OK... I guess I can handle that."

Except I wanted more! Once the book ended I'm like, "What!!! That's it!" But when I remembered it's the first book in the series, I realized it had just the right amount of info for book numero uno. So I was satisfied with 218 pages :)

The scene with Will and Lake at Club N9NE near the end of the book was beautiful! I was like... Oh my gosh.. this is happening and it's perfect! Total swoon!



Characters: 19 points

I have to say that I really liked all the characters in this book!

Layken: Layken was your typical head-over-heels-in-love kind of girl. At first I was a little disappointed that she fell in love so quickly and wasn't afraid to express it. I don't like when two characters fall in love instantly, and I really don't like it when the girl is pleading with the guy about them being together. But later in the book she really put her foot down with him, and that's the Layken I loved! I like a girl with self-respect. Even if Will was pretty awesome.

Will: Again, he fell in love with Layken pretty quickly. And of course there was a piece of me that hated Will at times. but it all boiled down to the respect he had for Layken. So I tried not to get too upset over him being a douche. In the end, he was swoon-worthy and protective and I loved him! I loved how he cared for his brother... and how mature he was.

I really loved how Lake and Will worked together, stood up to the plate, and took care of the two boys. They really formed a small family... a family that was probably much closer by the end. We really won't know until book two though I presume.

Eddie and Gavin were adorable and funny, Nick was super funny (I love Chuck Norris jokes), and the boys were super cute and full of energy. Layken and Kel's mom was a sweetheart as well.



Writing/Depth: 29 points

I really, really like Colleen Hoover, so I was pretty sure I would love this book! As I mentioned earlier, it was short, sweet and simple, but that didn't take away from the book. Sometimes I like a short, simple read. Hoover is a great writer and she really did a great job writing this book!

One thing I kinda had a hard time with was the way they dealt with the person who was sick in the book (I'm not telling who...). I'm sorry but if someone that close to me was sick, I would have cried a lot more and had crazy emotions. I guess we do see some crazy emotions, but the pain seemed to subside quickly, and acceptance was gained rapidly.

It wouldn't have been that way for me at all.

But nonetheless, the book was written well, and the poetry and "slamming" parts made her book very cute and very unique. I've never read a book with a plot quite like this before! :)

TOTAL: 60 POINTS





No comments:

Post a Comment