Monday, February 17, 2014

Bitter Sweet Love (The Dark Elements #0.5) - 90 points



Title: Bitter Sweet Love
Series Info: The Dark Elements #0.5
Author: Jennifer Armentrout

Dez wasn't just Jasmine's crush. A gargoyle Warden like Jas, he helped her come to terms with her destiny—fending off demons and maintaining balance between good and evil. He was her everything...right until the moment he disappeared without a trace. It didn't help that Jas's father had just announced that she and Dez would one day be mated. Hard not to take that personally.

And now he's back, three years older, ten times hotter, ready to pick up exactly where they left off. But Jas isn't taking that risk again. Dez has seven days to meet all her conditions and earn back her trust. Seven days filled with terrifying danger and sweet temptation. Seven days to win her heart—or shatter it all over again...

4 HEARTS!


POINT BREAKDOWN

Plot: 45 points

I need to start by saying that because this book was so short, it's sorta hard to write a review on. But I will do my best! I had the same problem with Damon, the 0.5 book in JLA's Covenant Series. 

Overall, I had no problem with the plot, except the very end. I felt like the question the book was aiming to answer was never answered. Well, it was blurry at most.

The whole gargoyle plot was definitely new for me! I've never read a book about gargoyles, and I have to say it wasn't too bad. It was a good, fresh theme for JLA to try out, and I think she did well as always! The minus 5 points was simply for the shortness of the book, and the lack of a grand finale ending. 

Characters: 15 points

JLA loves to write strong, independent, tom-boy female lead characters. Jasmine was nothing less than that! She wanted to be all up in the demon chasing business just like the guys, especially because of the way her mom die.


Dez....well he earns points for being swoony!! That's for sure! But he was a little too quick coming onto Jasmine in my opinion. I would have liked to have seen him hold his horses a bit, but I guess in the long run it worked out. And again...it's hard to not like such a swoony character as himself! I also didn't think his reason for leaving Jasmine without a word or any communication was good enough. I mean...I guess it was a good enough reason for him, but if he loved Jasmine the way the book implied...I think he should have said something!!! 

But once again...he was swoony...so I loved him... I can't resist the swoonage. 

Writing/Depth: 30 points

JLA reigns supreme in this area!!! I honestly just copy and paste this line for most of her books. I really can't get enough of her writing. I teared up from happiness, sadness, excitement, fear, love, and badassness...in all of her books!!! There is so much adventure in her books, and the perfect balance of seriousness and humor.

TOTAL: 90 POINTS!


No comments:

Post a Comment