
Title: Real
Series Info: Real, Raw and Ripped #1
Author: Katy Evans
A fallen boxer.
A woman with a broken dream.
A competition…
He even makes me forget my name. One night was all it took, and I forgot everything and anything except the sexy fighter in the ring who sets my mind ablaze and my body on fire with wanting…
Remington Tate is the strongest, most confusing man I’ve ever met in my life.
He’s the star of the dangerous underground fighting circuit, and I’m drawn to him as I’ve never been drawn to anything in my life. I forget who I am, what I want, with just one look from him. When he’s near, I need to remind myself that I am strong–but he is stronger. And now it’s my job to keep his body working like a perfect machine, his taut muscles primed and ready to break the bones of his next opponents . . .
But the one he’s most threatening to, now, is me.
I want him. I want him without fear. Without reservations.
If only I knew for sure what it is that he wants from me?
Plot: 48 points
Until the last few chapters....
There were some POWERFUL emotional scenes in this book that literally made me cry! CRY!!! I don't usually do that when I read a book, but there were some pretty intense scenes! Either I was crying, or I couldn't keep a smile off my damn face... I was that absorbed!
There was a boxing scene that made me cry, a hospital scene that made me cry, and then a scene in front of Brooke's apartment (shortly after the hospital scene) that made me both cry AND smile like a fool! Hopefully I didn't give too much away, but literally, things I didn't expect happened that made my heart turn to mush!
The intimate scenes were also very well written and pretty intense. Not the MOST intense scenes I've read (which was surprising since things could get pretty crazy with a guy like Remington Tate), but still spine chilling for sure!
I'm not usually into the whole boxing-theme books because I really don't like seeing the main male character get all beat up. And yes, at times it was hard to keep reading this book due to the fighting. But with a guy like Remington...boxing is literally the only career that would fit him.
There were parts of the plot that seemed a little cheesy - like listening to songs together, one of the intimate scenes in the gym, the blue eye/black eye thing, and the "love at first sight." I doubt things like that would really happen in real life, or at least not as quickly as they happened. But as a romance book for romance's sake, it was adorable and I loved it :) Especially the love at first sight!
Characters: 18 points
Brooke: At first I felt really sorry for Brooke because I felt like she wanted Remy to show her that he really liked her. She thought it was obvious that he did, but then things happened that made her assume otherwise. I was confused FOR her! Then, over time, she obviously couldn't take it anymore, and she had to beat that damn alpha male to the punch (no pun intended) and pretty much beg for him. That kinda sucked. But the way she cared for Remy and the way he cared for her and trusted her was perfect. Too cute! It's like the beauty and the beast almost.
Remy: Like I mentioned before, I was a little upset that Remy didn't do more to show Brooke how he felt. She was so eager for him to give her SOMETHING...anything. And he just kept his distance. But while the instant attraction he had for Brooke was, as I said, unrealistic, it was adorable. And the soft side/hard side part about him was cute as well. And what he did towards the end of the book...I literally melted. Remy became one of my favorite male characters after that! I don't want to spoil anything, but it stole my breath :)
Writing/Depth: 22 points
This is one part of the book that I think could have used some improvement. While the intimate scenes were great, I think they could have been better, and even more intense at times, given Remy's personality. Sometimes the characters said things that were kind of weird to me...things that would freak the other person out in real life. There was also maybe a little TOO much depth in this book...every feeling was described in such detail that I was left wanting more dialogue. More Remy and less Brooke. Less feeling and more words. But the ending of the book made up for all of that, so PLEASE read it!!! :)
NOTE: There is violence and graphic sexual scenes in this book, so be advised it is for adult readers!
TOTAL: 88 POINTS


No comments:
Post a Comment